True-trac Possible Problem~!!!~

swarren1

honeykeeper, anyone that sacrificed their e-locker and had a Tru Trac installed, or has more information on this ... I'm considering a Tru Trac or ARB air locker, both because of their stronger, 4 pinion spider gears.

When Austin had his installed, (the first one on any Titan I believe), he mentioned the following, and I was wondering if you had to deal with this, and if maybe the issues hk was having with the popping could be related ... for instance, if shims weren't used?

For those with a locking rear end, you have un-equal length shafts. You'll need to either shim the passenger side axle out some with shims behind the axle bearing outer race (we used 0.090) or extend the splines on the passenger side axle by about 1/8" for clearance. Basically, the longer passenger side axle goes in just a bit too far.

We used old-style D44 ARB shims, which fit perfectly. I brought a couple home so that I could measure ID and OD, but I haven't done that yet. I also stopped by my local awesome dealer and picked up another broken axle. I plan on using the shorter driver side axle shaft from the new axle assembly on the passenger side of my current axle. Easier than using a Dremel to extend the splines.

Also, those with a locking rear end have a diff lock position sensor - just a plunger type sensor (you can see pics on my website). The plunger slightly rubs the TrueTrac carrier, so it must be removed. It can be replaced with an M14x1.5 bolt... about 1/2" long is all you need. Alternately, you could just snip the plunger off the sensor housing with a pair of dikes.

honeykeeper

[quote name='swarren1' date='07 November 2009 - 03:04 AM' timestamp='1257577481' post='154424']

honeykeeper, anyone that sacrificed their e-locker and had a Tru Trac installed, or has more information on this ... I'm considering a Tru Trac or ARB air locker, both because of their stronger, 4 pinion spider gears.

When Austin had his installed, (the first one on any Titan I believe), he mentioned the following, and I was wondering if you had to deal with this, and if maybe the issues hk was having with the popping could be related ... for instance, if shims weren't used?

[/quote]

I copied that and handed it to my installer. Also called Trutrac folks up at the time and I can't remember but it seems they said it had been corrected.........just not sure.

Mine still does the same thing and still hasn't got worse or broken.

I do know with trutrac on corners that are level it doesn't feel like it let's go of one of the wheels at times and the outer rear tires show it as far as wear goes which I think is the nature of a LSD.. Glad I rotate and balance every 3k.

swarren1

Thanks Tom!

I might end up going the ARB air locker route since they also have stronger than stock spiders, but can be run as an open differential. Also, will work locked in 4HI and 2WD.

ARB is "supposed to" come out with a air locker for our M205 front axle next year, and if I get one of those, it will definitely be more for it's stronger components ... since I've never gone on a jeep hill that the rear e-lock wasn't enough for, (attack angles have always been the limiting factor). But the front ARB could be used, (open or locked), with either the ARB or the Tru Trac in the rear.

My father in law has an LSD on his RAM, and has said his will lock on some corners if he isn't careful, so this might be common for them, (don't know if it's on level corners ... I'll have to ask him). The only other bad things I've heard about Tru Trac was their temporary issue with an internal bolt that was backing out - think they solved that by using Loctite during manufacturing, and then some have mentioned LSDs causing the rear end to be more likely to spin out when driving in the rain or snow. Maybe this has more to do with drivers who are just expecting the Tru Trac to cure the existing tendency of pick up trucks to loose rear control when pushing it, or running worn tires in poor weather.

Bama334

I got rid of my E-locker to get a True Trac, best thing I have ever done. Now I can go off road without the one wheel spin out, then puttting it in 4wd to get thru a place where the LSD would go right on thru. For most people the e-locker is a waste of time, it looks good on the truck brochure, but in reality it suxs. E-lockers are great for rocker crawlers and that's about it. Plain and simple I like the LSD because it works automatically and allows to truck to continue it's forward motion. With e-locker you have one wheel drive until you engage it, or place the truck in 4WD. Most of the time the one wheel peel ends up puttting you in a bad situation, and certainly makes your truck look bad around a bunch of other 4WD's, most of which come from the factory with an LSD. I use my truck for hunting, and there are times that an LSD is plenty, but there are also time to lock it in before you get in a bad situation, so the e-locker dosen't cut it for a person like me. Another issue is the cornering deal, the TT has NO adverse effects on corning. NONE!, not unless you get on the gas in wet weather. An LSD is also going to cause fish tailing in mud and snow, why because both rear wheels are pulling. I have 9K on my TT which replaces the weak spider gears from Nissan and I only have poistive things to say, and I just changed my gear back to 75W140 Serve Gear from Amsoil everything looked great.

honeykeeper

20,000 mile True-trac report/notes.

I live 69 turns away from town (one way)........traveling up and down steep hills and on some gravel roads and a stream crossing.......and I use 4x4 hi and lo ranges up and down my driveway course.

1- On post #1 I described the play from the left/right rear wheels to the drive shaft via the LSD unit.....it's still the same.

2- Rear outer tires have increased wear verses open oem differential.

3- On downhill corners the LSD is not detectable.

4- On uphill curves from a start the LSD seems to almost chirp/bind at times especially when giving more throttle or just on an incline.

5- In 4x4 hi mode on hard pavement and a mild turn the LSD chirps.......only in 4x4 mode which is strange.....

6- Uphill take-offs on wet leaf conditions can result in both wheels spinning and a loss of traction is felt.

7- Uphill take-offs on wet paved surfaces in the rain can result in both wheels spinning and a loss of traction.

8- Throttling up in corners causes the True-trac to force the vehicles path into the turn and possibly off the road if too much throttle is applied. Applying the correct amount of up-throttle in turns can reduce steering wheel play and make cornering more sporty! lol

9- True-Trac is warranteed for 12 months or 12,000 miles.....if there is a claim you must send your unit back to Eaton before any repair or replacement is performed.....

10- Some True-trac units have had factory installed/torqued bolts loosen out and damage the unit.

Most of the time the benefits of True-trac verses oem are very noticeable and improves my Titan's traction/handling and enjoyment.

I like my True-trac LSD verses the OEM open differential but I'm not 100% confident in the units performance/claims and longevity. Time and miles will tell.