Transmission fluid amount

BigDanT

Well I ordered a bulk roll of Dayco transmission coolant line and am waiting for the stainless worm clamps to get here. I am getting ready to replace the tranny coolant lines from hell that I was lucky enough to find were leaking during my last oil change. My question is 'how many quarts are needed when draining the tranny pan?' I know I've lost some fluid and I've bought 3 quarts of the new Nissan S fluid to do a poor mans tranny fluid change while I replace the hoses, but I know I'll need a few more. Any ideas?

krh2

Administrator
[quote name='BigDanT' timestamp='1303090056' post='160658']

Well I ordered a bulk roll of Dayco transmission coolant line and am waiting for the stainless worm clamps to get here. I am getting ready to replace the tranny coolant lines from hell that I was lucky enough to find were leaking during my last oil change. My question is 'how many quarts are needed when draining the tranny pan?' I know I've lost some fluid and I've bought 3 quarts of the new Nissan S fluid to do a poor mans tranny fluid change while I replace the hoses, but I know I'll need a few more. Any ideas?

[/quote]

Have a marked container n what comes out, put back in.. good luck keep us posted

BigDanT

I was planning on getting a clear bucket w/ quart marks and draining it, but if I've lost some from my bad hoses, I'll still be short. Has anyone ever done just a drain and refill? What was the true amount taken without having lost any from a leak and put back in so I can get it right?

krh2

Administrator
[quote name='BigDanT' timestamp='1303166797' post='160669']

I was planning on getting a clear bucket w/ quart marks and draining it, but if I've lost some from my bad hoses, I'll still be short. Has anyone ever done just a drain and refill? What was the true amount taken without having lost any from a leak and put back in so I can get it right?

[/quote]

Ive always used the dealer. Anyone?

swarren1

I've gotten between 4 qt. and 4 qt. plus another cup or so on different occasions. I think even if you've lost some fluid from the hose exchange, your pan will still be full. The entire system holds about 11.5 qt. IIRC.

If I was unsure of the level I'd use the dip stick. Nissan says to check it at a specific temperature readout with a consult II, but Idk. I don't really trust everyone at a dealership service department to be all that careful, so I'd just check it after driving it. Use a piece of clean lint free paper, like printer paper, not a paper towel.