Trailer Wiring

mdawg4x4

Not a Titan, but maybe an idea for your trailer plug. After seeing many Frontiers rip the trailer plug out from under the bumper, I decided to run mine through the bumper next to the tag. Sorry, I didn't take pics as I went.

I wore the teeth off two 2 1/8" dia hole saws trying to cut a hole in the bumper. I wound up drilling many 3/16" dia holes around the outer edge of the 2 1/8" hole I was trying to drill until I could punch it out. Then I used a round file to smooth the edges inside and out. I took the factory 7-pin plug apart and trimmed some tabs off the back so it would go through the hole and fit flush. I pushed the front of the plug through the hole and reasssembled it from the back side. Here are a few finished pics.

treebasher

Nice work and great idea!

I know there were after market plugs for Chevs that went into the existing license plate light hole. You just had to remove the light fixture. I've never seen one for the the Titan or Frontier though.

Stennis

[quote name='mdawg4x4' post='129373' date='Jun 29 2008, 04:41 PM']Not a Titan, but maybe an idea for your trailer plug. After seeing many Frontiers rip the trailer plug out from under the bumper, I decided to run mine through the bumper next to the tag. Sorry, I didn't take pics as I went.

I wore the teeth off two 2 1/8" dia hole saws trying to cut a hole in the bumper. I wound up drilling many 3/16" dia holes around the outer edge of the 2 1/8" hole I was trying to drill until I could punch it out. Then I used a round file to smooth the edges inside and out. I took the factory 7-pin plug apart and trimmed some tabs off the back so it would go through the hole and fit flush. I pushed the front of the plug through the hole and reasssembled it from the back side. Here are a few finished pics.

[/quote]

Nice. Great Idea

mdawg4x4

[quote name='treebasher' post='129375' date='Jun 29 2008, 08:32 PM']Nice work and great idea!

I know there were after market plugs for Chevs that went into the existing license plate light hole. You just had to remove the light fixture. I've never seen one for the the Titan or Frontier though.[/quote]

I thought about that, but didn't want to give up a tag light. I don't think the hole would have brrn big enough anyway.

terryu1

[quote name='mdawg4x4' post='129373' date='Jun 29 2008, 06:41 PM']Not a Titan, but maybe an idea for your trailer plug. After seeing many Frontiers rip the trailer plug out from under the bumper, I decided to run mine through the bumper next to the tag. Sorry, I didn't take pics as I went.

I wore the teeth off two 2 1/8" dia hole saws trying to cut a hole in the bumper. I wound up drilling many 3/16" dia holes around the outer edge of the 2 1/8" hole I was trying to drill until I could punch it out. Then I used a round file to smooth the edges inside and out. I took the factory 7-pin plug apart and trimmed some tabs off the back so it would go through the hole and fit flush. I pushed the front of the plug through the hole and reasssembled it from the back side.[/quote]

Nice idea. Gets the wires up out of way a little.