SERVICE ENGINE LT/ GAS CAP EMISS

Surferdave

Hey Guys. My SES Ltis on and the code is for a gas cap emiss. etc. on my 04 w/ 120k . New gas cap is on andtight.I removed the vent control valve and it seemed clean. Blew air through it anywho. I removed the whole black box (not sure of the name) and opened it. Didnt seem like a servicable item since it is plastic welded together. But I cut the seem and opened it. It has filters on both ends which keep the black bits inside it. Anyone know if the filters or black bits can be replaced or do I have to buy the whole assembly. Just had to find out what was inside. I am about to blow some air through the lines in the truck but isnt there a line that I shouldnt use air on? Thanks for your help again. NOT GIVING MY MONEY TO THE DEALERSHIP.At least I hope not to.

BLWedge09

Administrator
From your description, I'm not sure what black box you're referring to. Maybe a picture and a location would help...

Surferdave

Sorry bout that. Easier to help if I use correct part names. I think its called the evaporator canister. Its located under the bed of the truck.

krh2

Administrator
bloww all the lines out. turn the gas cap and click it a lot. Ive seeeen this befor.

ss350z

Let us know if you figure this out. I have been fighting this for years. I have replaced the valve on the side, with mixed results. My SES light comes on and goes out intermittantly.

It also seems to go out after I drive some distance, at least 60+ miles or if I use Seafoam. So far I it has not caused me problems with emissions testing, but I'm due for another test in the fall.

Attachments

Surferdave

Just an update. I replaced my purge valve control at 120k and the ses light has been off ever since. I have 161k now. I tried to clean it multiple times but decided to replace it. Seems this truck does ok if you keep tossing $ its way. Not complaining. Still enjoy it and I still get compliments on my 2004. Thanks for all your help.

jdmartin

That's a trip, an update from 2012 - but thanks for following up! :)

I used to clean mine for a long time until it got to the point that cleaning it only lasted a couple of days before the light was back on. I replaced it with the new version of the valve and that solved the issue as well. If you look inside the new version, you'll see it has a beefier spring & disc setup than the old one.