Rear differential oil change.

krh2

Administrator
Rear differential oil change.

Using a 3/8” ratchet remove top plug on differential cover. (remove top first to be sure you can get it out to facilitate refilling after you drain it)

Remove lower plug and drain. The lower plug has a magnet on it to grab loose metal particles that may accumulate in the differential oil.

<!--id1--><embed style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-6529716311688460158&" > </embed><!--id2-->

Lower plug with “stuff” on it.

Stuff

Plugs. Use a thread sealer to ensure no leaks after you install the plugs. I used Permatex Thread sealant with TEFLON.

Torque plugs to 25 ft-lbs.

Fill with 75w-140 Synthetic oil ONLY

You are done. Total time for me 15 minutes.

Titan Critter

Haha...That's a good write up. Last time I had my oil change place do it for me. didn't cost much, and i didn't have to smell that crap....it's the worst smelling fluid in the truck i think. i'm ready to change it again before winter so i'm going to do the 75/140 in the rear and keep the 75/90 in the front.

krh2

Administrator

krh2

Administrator
[quote name='Havock' post='113933' date='Oct 10 2007, 09:41 PM']Since I also only have a 2wd, I also cannot do the front or transfer case.[/quote]

Whoops, except for the tires, rims, and large mouth we have identical trucks even the fries under the back seat. LOL.