Please say a prayer for my son!

badbowtie

Shannon had posted some info on this in another thread. Thank You Brother!

My son Brandon has to go to see a Orthopedic Surgeon today. We have been told that he has a bone disease that has caused his back to arch very bad and there may be two options to fix it. Wear a full brace for 2 years or have surgery. We do not know many details yet but hopefully will know more today. Please keep him in your prayers, he is very strong for a 14 year old and will not show any concern. I think myself and his mother is more concerned than him. Thank You All!

Ernie

terryu1

If it is any consolation, I work as a medical examiner for social security disability. The things that they can do today especially in the orthopedic area is truly remarkable. It is a scary process especially for the parents. He is in our prayers today. God Bless and try to keep a positive outlook. Looking at that glass as half full will be much better all around. Best of Luck to you, your family and the doctors, nurses and therapists involved.

WhiteNite

I spoke with Ernie earlier today. They met with the doctors and they want to try physical theropy with muscle relaxers for a few months. If that does not work its surgery.....

This saddens me, one of those why do bad things happen to good people... and even worse, kids

badbowtie

Thank You Shannon, sorry I didn't post last night but we had alot going on after the visit.

The visit went well yesterday he has what is called Scheuermanns Kyposis it is a rare back disorder. So far the plan is to try physical therapy for a month and see if that helps him with the pain he has from it. His back is arched 75° in the upper area and it causes him to look like he is slouching. That is what we thought the problem was. If the therapy does not help with the pain then they will schedule him for surgery to install 2 titanium rods to straighten his back out. He is very nervous about the surgery idea but just wants to get rid of the pain and feel like he looks normal again. Thank You all for your thoughts and prayers I will keep you updated and we get through this.

Thank You!

Ernie

WhiteNite

Thats a sad thing to hear man, "feel like he looks normal again"..... I could not imagine having to even give a thought to back surgery at that young age.

jerseyparts

Wow, Ernie you and your family will be in my prayers tonight.

If there is anything we can do, please let us know!

Brian

badbowtie

Thank you Shannon for bumping this up.

Hello Everyone sorry I have not been on much but life has been crazy, Brandon's Surgery is scheduled for 11-17-09. He will be in surgery for 5 hours and have a 6 week receovery they will have to place two 1/4" Titanium rods along his spine to hold it into its new shape and will have many screws installed. He will be in the Hospital for at least 7days before they allow him to be taken home. We have had him at the Hospital many times the past few weeks he had a growth surge and the Arch in his back grew from 73° to 78° in about a month's time and it has caused him alot of pain.

My wife will be staying with him the entire time and I will be travelling after work. I am scared to death about this even more than he is showing. After speaking with the surgeon and i had some alone time I just lost it. The thought that my 14 year old son has to have such major surgery done. He will have a scar from the base of his neck all the way down to his rear. The surgeon is well known for this procedure and this is being done at the Arnold Palmer Hospital for women and children so I do feel confident that all wil go good. Please keep him in your prayers and I will update as I can.

Thank you all,

Ernie

WhiteNite

My prayers are always with you and your family buddy! If we can do anything, you just let us know. Your only an hour and a half away....Thats just a hop skip and a jump for us!

badbowtie

Please keep the prayers going, Brandon goes in tomorrow morning at 6:45am for the surgery it is suppose to last about 5 hours. Brandon's says he is not nervous he just wants it over with....on the other hand I am a nervous wreck!!!!! I cannot wait for the moment that they say he is in recovery and we can go see him! I know he has a excellent surgeon and this is not a uncommon surgery for him. So please keep the prayers coming for Brandon and all the people that will be involved in getting him through this tomorrow. I will post up once it is over with an update. Thank you all!

Ernie

badbowtie

Thank you everyone Brandon is in surgery now and will not be out until After noon. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers for him. I will update later once he is out