new hu, blue tooth, steering wheel controls, and amp location ??

ws6race

ok I have a 2010 king cab with the normal stock (not rockford) in dash changer hu with blue tooth and was thinking of upgrading my audio system some questions i have found answers for and some i have not so ill start with ones i have not found answers for and list the one i have to double check them

1. if i change the stock head unit can i still use my oem blue tooth system. if so would i need anything

2. (this is more a product ?) i like how the stock radio gives the title info do aftermarket radios now do that as well or is that what the hd radio does

3. for the subs. where are the best locations for mounting the amp, i use my driver under seat for storage ... will it fit under pass. seat under the blue tooth box, i also want to keep my jack that is located under rear seat pass. side

4. to use the steering wheel controls i need a modual of some sort that will work with the after market head unit (that part i understand) but what about the blue tooth button on the steering wheel will that work as well

DevilDawg

Welcome to the Spot.

Kinda hard to follow all of your questions, but here is my suggestion..

Keep the stock HU as you would have to buy an extra adapter to maintain the steering wheel controls. I can't say for sure, but it is HIGHLY doubtful you could use the factory Bluetooth without the factory HU.

Not all HU are equal. SOme have better read outs for programming, some have worse. Kind of a "User Preference" as to which one best suits your needs/wants.

Subwoofer anclosures and amplifier location are also User Defined. I run a dual ten box under rear seat with amp behind the seat. I kept the factory HU and added a RCA converter thingy to make the low level signal that amplifiers like. I also prefer the "Stealth" approach, as I don't want thieves to see I am running anything worth breaking my window out for.

As with anything you do to your T, pictures are mandatory or it didn't happen. LOL

ws6race

[quote name='DevilDawg' date='11 January 2010 - 11:50 AM' timestamp='1263232255' post='155385']

Welcome to the Spot.

Kinda hard to follow all of your questions, but here is my suggestion..

Keep the stock HU as you would have to buy an extra adapter to maintain the steering wheel controls. I can't say for sure, but it is HIGHLY doubtful you could use the factory Bluetooth without the factory HU.

Not all HU are equal. SOme have better read outs for programming, some have worse. Kind of a "User Preference" as to which one best suits your needs/wants.

Subwoofer anclosures and amplifier location are also User Defined. I run a dual ten box under rear seat with amp behind the seat. I kept the factory HU and added a RCA converter thingy to make the low level signal that amplifiers like. I also prefer the "Stealth" approach, as I don't want thieves to see I am running anything worth breaking my window out for.

As with anything you do to your T, pictures are mandatory or it didn't happen. LOL

[/quote]

yea sorry about the hard to follow part was typing quick at work ... well i found out unless someone else knows otherwise i cannot use the factory blue tooth with out the head unit, i like the factory blue tooth rather than aftermarket ones that my friends have on thier HU (pioneer and jvc) so looks like im going to keep the factory HU

so as far as the amp location ... im just looking for some ideas that people found would work great for amp locations

DevilDawg

[quote name='ws6race' date='11 January 2010 - 05:59 PM' timestamp='1263254370' post='155398']

yea sorry about the hard to follow part was typing quick at work ... well i found out unless someone else knows otherwise i cannot use the factory blue tooth with out the head unit, i like the factory blue tooth rather than aftermarket ones that my friends have on thier HU (pioneer and jvc) so looks like im going to keep the factory HU

so as far as the amp location ... im just looking for some ideas that people found would work great for amp locations

[/quote]

You should be able to do something with that amp pretty easily. Either back wall, beside sub enclosure, or under front seat. Depends on the amplifier footprint. What sub(s) you use, etc.

scottsbro23

I'm also still running the factory HU. I'm running 2 amps and 2 10" subs (well one now...one blew) along with components up front and 2 ways in the rear doors. Amps get there signal from a JL Audio cleansweep processor. My next upgrade (after new subs) is a DD DVD HU. I dont use storage under front driver (had the POS OEM sub under there) so I have my Monoblock Amp under there. And no blue tooth box under passenger, so my 4ch went under there. Sub box is located under rear seats. You should beable to mount the amp on the back wall with out a problem.