Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Probably Discourage

• Definitely Discourage

• Total voters

Havock

Meguiar’s PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish for cloudy headlight housings

The Corolla's headlight housings have been extremely cloudy for years now. They looked like crap (yea, for Toyota quality! :-( ) but I never did anything about the problem until now. I like the Silverstars I have in the Titan so much that I decided to buy a set for the Corolla. However, I did not want to put nice new bulbs in a cloudy housing. I have seen a TSB from Nissan that they recommend 3M Plastic Polish for cleaning/clearing cloudy housings, but I was not able to find that product at my local Autozone, O'Reilly or NAPA. A manager at Autozone directed me to this:

I bought a small packet of it for $.99 that was more than enough to do both headlight housings on the Corolla. I figured for $.99, it was worth a shot. Last Saturday I finally made it outside and was ready to buff & polish my housings so I could finally install the new bulbs (what a PITA that was!) I didn't have a terry cloth rag handy, so I just used a regular shop rag and rubbed the polish on the housing for about 90 seconds on each side. And with just those 3 minutes of not so hard buffing, I was happy enough with the results to say the product worked satisfactorally. Yes, there are a lot of pock marks in the surface, but those are from 6.5 years of gravel & sand and would require a full battery of progressive sandpaper discipline to buff out completely. I am satisfied with the housings as they are now with the whoppin' 3 minutes of effort I put into them.

So I am willing to use this product again in the future if the need arises, but I will wait for some feedback from Wraith first. He has a vehicle that has cloudy headlight housings also. I told him that the Meguiar’s PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish looks and smells like Soft Scrub.
So since he has some Soft Scrub at home already, he is going to give that a shot and let me know how it goes.

Attachments

worm91214

Early

[quote name='Havock']Meguiar’s PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish for cloudy headlight housings[/quote]

Its just too early in the morning for me to think about something like that let me get some coffee first.

SirStrider

I used it and liked it.

I used it with white terry on my '98 Frontier - couldn't believe all the grime that came off a "clean" lense. The pits and scratches and cracks were still left, of course, but the yellow film was gone.