leaking transfer case

markb52

Was just told by local dealer that i need a new transfer case on my 2006 titan. They explained that i was outside of warranty coverage and the total bill would be $3700 taxes in. They said it was a leaking seal and it was easier to replace the transfer case. Has anyone had a simular problem and if so any good suggestions on how to resolve this issue? Labor was only $350 so could i buy a new or rebuilt online any cheaper? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Decided to take the bull by the horns today after your responses. Drained the transfer case and only got one cup of atf fluid where there should have been three liters. Filled it back up and took it for a drive and found a marked improvement. Have not noticed any oil on the driveway so far and have fingers crossed. I have to tell you I'm very dissapointed with the dealership that we went to and plan on a frank discussion with them in the near future.

Will keep you informed on how everything works out. This forum is great and thanks for the input.

scottsbro23

[quote name='markb52' timestamp='1312147490' post='161455']

Was just told by local dealer that i need a new transfer case on my 2006 titan. They explained that i was outside of warranty coverage and the total bill would be $3700 taxes in. They said it was a leaking seal and it was easier to replace the transfer case. Has anyone had a simular problem and if so any good suggestions on how to resolve this issue? Labor was only $350 so could i buy a new or rebuilt online any cheaper? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

[/quote]

WHAT!!! Thats crazy talk! Which seal? front or rear? I replaced my front output seal on my T-Case....Not hard at all...there's a thread on here with a little how to.

Here ya go..

http://www.titanspot.com/Titan/index.php?showtopic=7363

If your in the Houston area, bring it over I'll help ya.

honeykeeper

[quote name='scottsbro23' timestamp='1312164416' post='161456']

WHAT!!! Thats crazy talk! Which seal? front or rear? I replaced my front output seal on my T-Case....Not hard at all...there's a thread on here with a little how to.

Here ya go..

http://www.titanspot...?showtopic=7363

If your in the Houston area, bring it over I'll help ya.

[/quote]

Agreed on that one! Do it yourself and save a wad of clams.

and welcome markb52

Bohica

Funny story...I took my truck to get all the fluids serviced about a month ago (both Diff., x-fer case, tranny, & oil). 4 days later my truck is bleeding all over the place, multiple spots. Take it back to the “mechanic” and am told it's got nothing to do with him (uh-huh). Take it to the dealer along with my extended warranty. 5 days and $3,000 later, they've replaced seals all up and down the underside (rear axle seal as well)...my share of the $3,000 was only $200 deductible.

3 days later, she's bleeding again. I take her back to the dealership, 10 minutes later, “there's fluid where there shouldn't be, we replaced the seal, it looks like it's internal.” 6 hours later, I call back, they're gonna have to replace the x-fer case as well...2006 Titan. Just thought I'd share and be some company for that misery of yours...