Hitch wiring installation (3rd party)

rbranco

Hi Folks,

New here and new in towing. I need some help with this problem. My car came without the factory wiring for the hitch. The relay box is empty (no hitch wire inside or adaptors for relays ) but the car has the wiring next to the spare tire. I bought a hopkins solutions kit to instal the lights in my car (http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.com/search.html?key=46105&x=0&y=0 ) , but I'm not sure if by installing it myself I could do any damage to the car electrical system. Also if it's OK to use it, where can I find the wires to connect it? I have only been able to find information (and even a video) for car with the wiring installed, but dont know if I need to open any panel or if those cables under the car, next to the spare tire, have the wires I need (the dealer here in my country will not install even the original one) Where can I get the information I need?

Thanks all for your help

Rogerio

steves

You mean any car, or the Titan?

For the Titan you'll need to purchase the two relays, and the Hopkins or Hoppy 7 pin adapter. On SE and LE trucks, the connector should be taped up under the bumper toward the driver side of the truck. it's all "plug and play." On some XE's you might need to trace and tap wires.

If you are tapping the wires yourself, and can't solder... then I would use Scotch Lok conntectors, they look like this:

rbranco

Hi, thanks for your answer,

I'm talking about the titan , but the relay box is empty. Even if I buy the relay, there is nothing there to connect to. The hopkins kit comes with this blue connector in your picture, so I wont have to solder, but I have to fins the wires other than the one in the factory towing kit. I've tested and there is no electricity there, as there is nothing in the relay box. That's why I choose a generic hopkins and not the one intended for the titan.

Cheers

Rogerio

baseballfanz

[quote name='rbranco' timestamp='1283176786' post='158253']

Hi, thanks for your answer,

I'm talking about the titan , but the relay box is empty. Even if I buy the relay, there is nothing there to connect to. The hopkins kit comes with this blue connector in your picture, so I wont have to solder, but I have to fins the wires other than the one in the factory towing kit. I've tested and there is no electricity there, as there is nothing in the relay box. That's why I choose a generic hopkins and not the one intended for the titan.

Cheers

Rogerio

[/quote]

That's weird, should be plugs in the relay box to put the relays in.

Where did you get your titan from and what country are you in now?

Can you post a picture of the relay box?

steves

So you need to tap the wires for the brake, left turn signal and right turn signal and provide a ground. I don't have a shop manual handy, but you should be able to pop the tail lights out to trace the wires that you'll need to tap.

rbranco

[quote name='baseballfanz' timestamp='1283181235' post='158256']

That's weird, should be plugs in the relay box to put the relays in.

Where did you get your titan from and what country are you in now?

Can you post a picture of the relay box?

[/quote]

I'm trying to figure out how to post pictures, but I got my car new from a nissan dealer in UAE (united arab emirates) where I'm living now. I'm not sure but I think the car is imported from USA. Let me look in the forum if there is a how to on posting pics.

cheers

Rogerio

rbranco

[quote name='rbranco' timestamp='1283411104' post='158295']

I'm trying to figure out how to post pictures, but I got my car new from a nissan dealer in UAE (united arab emirates) where I'm living now. I'm not sure but I think the car is imported from USA. Let me look in the forum if there is a how to on posting pics.

cheers

Rogerio

[/quote]

rbranco

I've also used the circuit tester provided by hopkins and the wiring near the spare tire is dead. I tested somewhere else, to check if the tester itself was working and it is.

cheers

Rogerio

mdawg4x4

If it is a Titan, it was made right here in Canton with the same components as the US version. If I remember correct, the only differences between the US and Middle East versions of the Armadas and QX56s were clear windows and a different headlight and tail light requirement. I am not exactly sure about the Titans.

rbranco

As I understand, armadas/titans also have something different in the cooling system, referred here as the "gulf pack"

cheers

Rogerio

rbranco

Done!!!! Did it mylelf using the hopkins kit. The only thing is that it does not seem to support brake lights, but the running and indicator lights are just fine.

thanks all for the help

Sasquatch16

I almost have the same problem but I have connectors in the relay area.  The trailer I had used from Uhaul worked with he lights at first but when I arrived at my destination I realized they weren't working.  Do I need to buy the relays? will this fix my problem?  I tested and I am not getting any electricity to the 7 pin thingy.