Front Diff input seal

WhatDetail

Any info or pix on this seal leaking? Also heard there is a vent that could purge gearlube when driving the truck hard for long periods...Any truth to that and can anyone provide a photo of what that vent looks like so i can locate it quickly? Thanks in advance for your help!

jdmartin

If you pop the hood and look at the driver's side, just above the wheel well, you'll see the differential tube vent coming up. I had mine on my old truck burp once or twice but nothing really beyond that. Never had it in my current Titan. I doubt there's any pictures here but it's pretty easy to find.

As for the front differential, where do you think you might be leaking? Leaking at the pinion seal, where the driveshaft enters the differential, is fairly common on these trucks. My last Titan had a slow drip from there that I never bothered fixing.

WhatDetail

Thanks JD! I was only aware of this since we got back from our trip. Nothing on the garage floor since. may have just been foamed gear oil from the hard 70 plus MPH driving for 2-3 days...??? Cleaned the garage floor and havent had an issue. If my truck was a show truck it would be a trailer queen..LOL. She's my baby! :smt023

jdmartin

That is always a good thing. When I got my first Titan I had the same issue happen to me - smelled gear oil and popped the hood and noticed gear oil on the wheel well. Was not too happy until I realized they vented it to that area and it was probably just a burp. Never had a front diff problem in 75k miles so I think it was.

I wish my truck was a trailer queen :)  Lately it seems to be more of a landscaping queen!