Dragonfly777 needs your prayers please

FireWalker42

My girlfriend fell Saturday evening leaving her work and broke both her right tibia and fibula. She had surgery this evening and is recovering in her room. They inserted a spike in her tibia. She should be released Tuesday (maybe late Monday). The Doctor said 10-12 weeks for healing and should be able to start walking in 4 weeks. She has been real brave throughout and has been tolerating the pain.

She was diagnosed many years ago with Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease (CMT)(Also known as Hereditary Motor and Sensory Neuropathy (HMSN) or Peroneal Muscular Atrophy (PMA) if I am remembering what she and her family have. Unfortunately this was her good leg and just recently started having some trouble with it. She had just scheduled a consultation with the MDA to see if there were any new treatments or braces developed since she last saw them. We hope this is a blessing and will make this leg stronger when she has healed.

We just ask for you to keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

FireWalker42

Just a quick update. She is finally home. It is amazing how they treat leg fractures today. There is no cast and only gauze over the incision marks, one just below the knee and another at the ankle. She has to use a walker and that is challenging since she doesn't have great upper body strength. She is at least getting a workout on her abs. The Doctor said she might be able to start driving in about 10 days as long as she left foot brakes. I am sure that will be when she can start back at her full time job.

We can finally enjoy our Valentine's Day meal tomorrow night!

pinoytitan

wow!! that is awesome news!!! driving in 10 days? thats nuts, in my opinion, but its come from the doc so i cant argue. lol. thats incredible that they didn't add a cast or anything. i would be afraid to move it just in case something tears.

wow, this is awesome awesome news!!!

FireWalker42

Yea it is all sounding good. Last night her dogs were so excited both of them had to be on her lap in the chair. They kept stepping on her leg and I even bumped her foot. If she can survive us and gain some strength in the next 10 days I really don't see why she couldn't start driving. They had her doing physical therapy the day after her surgery. The therapist is going to be coming to her house starting today.

Thank you everyone who has seen this and kept her in your prayers.

BLWedge09

Administrator
[quote name='FireWalker42' date='17 February 2010 - 05:04 AM' timestamp='1266404679' post='155859']

Yea it is all sounding good. Last night her dogs were so excited both of them had to be on her lap in the chair. They kept stepping on her leg and I even bumped her foot. If she can survive us and gain some strength in the next 10 days I really don't see why she couldn't start driving. They had her doing physical therapy the day after her surgery. The therapist is going to be coming to her house starting today.

Thank you everyone who has seen this and kept her in your prayers.

[/quote]

I'm sorry I didn't see this before now, as I have been dealing with some health issues of my own lately. Glad to see that she is doing much better. I just wanted to mention that she is the first person other than my dad that I have ever encountered with CMT. My dad has CMT and Rheumatoid Arthritis. He sees a doctor at UAB here in Birmingham and is on a long list of medicines. They don't heal it, but they seem to keep it from progressing much...which is a good thing.

FireWalker42

Update:

Deborah is getting stronger each day. She has now tackled going up and down the step into her house without needing to sit in a chair next to the door. Her Mom got her a Cadillac of walkers which makes getting around easier and allows her to walk more normal. She started driving last weekend and drove herself to work all last week. While she didn't feel up to making Old Town she did venture out to the mall and pumped her own gas. This week she is going to try things on her own without her Mother being there to help. Her attitude is great.

I want to thank you all who thought of her or said a prayer(s). They really have helped.

WhiteNite

Wow! Be very weary of those PT's, they dont know as much as they make you think, trust me with all we went through with dawn lol...... If she needs some strength excercises you know how to get ahold of me. Glad she is much better