Banging sound when accelerating into a turn

TruckTrip

So I have read all the threads on the Dana 44 going out and this made me suspect when this banging started. When I accelerate aggressively from a stop and turn at the same time I get a loud banging sound, anywhere from one to four bangs. By aggressively I am talking about turning into traffic from a parking lot not spinning the tires. I decided to do a visual inspection of the rear end before laying out the bucks. I was somewhat surprised to find a intact, thought worn set of gears. (see pics) Being a carpenter and not a mechanic I was hoping that someone with more experience could give me some ideas. Do these gears look shot? What else might be the cause of the banging?

[attachment=9788][attachment=9789]

Attachments

BLWedge09

Administrator
I'm no expert on gears, but I don't see anything there that looks like it would be causing the problem you've described. Those gears look pretty good to me. How many miles on the truck?

You wouldn't happen to have the Utili-track system in your truck bed would you? It sounds strange, but I know some people have been fooled by the sound of one of those cleats sliding and banging at odd times during acceleration or braking.

honeykeeper

[quote name='TruckTrip' timestamp='1325817384' post='162095']

So I have read all the threads on the Dana 44 going out and this made me suspect when this banging started. When I accelerate aggressively from a stop and turn at the same time I get a loud banging sound, anywhere from one to four bangs. By aggressively I am talking about turning into traffic from a parking lot not spinning the tires. I decided to do a visual inspection of the rear end before laying out the bucks. I was somewhat surprised to find a intact, thought worn set of gears. (see pics) Being a carpenter and not a mechanic I was hoping that someone with more experience could give me some ideas. Do these gears look shot? What else might be the cause of the banging?

[/quote]

Is the sound coming from the back?......You should have found some shavings at least when you removed the pumpkin cover if the rear is going bad. That's what mine did on corners when it was going bad. My spider gears in the center were pretty chewed up too.

If it's jacked up off the fround have someone turn the wheels as you inspect the gears to look and listen for the noise.

jdmartin

2 or 4WD? Do you have the E-locker? If everything feels good free-wheeling - that is, if you've got the rear up in the air and can hold one wheel stationary while the other one spins - it's probably not in the rear end. As HK said if you're chewing up the gears you're going to have a lot of shavings in that housing & gear oil. Your problem kind of sounds like what you get on a posi rear binding up, that's why I'm wondering if you've got the locking differential setup.

scottsbro23

[quote name='jdmartin' timestamp='1326291455' post='162125']

2 or 4WD? Do you have the E-locker? If everything feels good free-wheeling - that is, if you've got the rear up in the air and can hold one wheel stationary while the other one spins - it's probably not in the rear end. As HK said if you're chewing up the gears you're going to have a lot of shavings in that housing & gear oil. Your problem kind of sounds like what you get on a posi rear binding up, that's why I'm wondering if you've got the locking differential setup.

[/quote]

He doesn't have the E-Locker, thats an open diff (in his pics). The spider gears in the 2nd pic look kinda worn. If your a 4x4 check your tranny mount. But seeing how you said only while turning it's probably not that. Heck I'd just spend the coin on a tru-trac..vs replacing with stock spider, ring & pinion. MUCH stronger..well alot more fun too...lol.

smhee

How much was your tru-trac? Because my spiders went out last month or so, I had to buy a used stock diff Nissan was asking 3k lol they won't sell just parts(which they said if they did it would have been 2k) so I found one for 400 and installed it myself but that banging while turning does sound like spiders going out and if it is just starting it might not be too many shavings...im lucky and know a tranny and diff mechanic so he helped me quite a bit, I have a 05 titan with only 65k miles on it

jdmartin

That kind of galls me about the car manufacturers. There's no good reason that I know of not to allow owners to buy individual parts inside the pumpkin.

mdawg4x4

^^I agree. I recently had the rear axle end bearings and seals replaced at a prominent powertrain shop here in the Jackson metro area. He said Nissan/DANA just released the parts to do the job. He had been having to change out the entire rear axle. He mentioned I had a hybrid Nissan/DANA 44 rear axle, not a typical DANA 44.

jdmartin

What's surprising is that there isn't any aftermarket manufacturer of these parts. There's got to be 200k Titans on the road, maybe more by now. I would think there would be some kind of market for this stuff.