Aftermarket Radio POP on RF

aaluck

Over the weekend I installed a Clarion HU VX400 into the titan. I have an SE 2005 and replaced the RF head unit and left the RF amp. It is hooked up via the RCA of the Clarion into the Titan specific harnass. The new unit is great and works perfectly...however, when I switch sources or when the turn the unit on or off there is a LOUD pop from all speakers, not just the sub. Crutchfield says it is a grounding issue. I cannot live with this pop everytime I change sources, or the phone hooks up via bluetooth. I have searched the internet for the past 3 days and cannot see a specific discussion on a Titan. I tried to 1) power the RF amp without the remote amp turn on in the Clarion 2) tried to power it with a 5v power supply, 3) tried to ground the unit in 3 different places. Nothing has made a difference. Some forums have suggested a 100-120ohm resistor between the harnass and the power amp on on the Clarion but this obliously won't work for me sicne the other things I have done did not help (that being bypassing that power source althogether). I cannot be the first person to have this problem. I have searched everywhere for an answer. Anyone know the problem or a possible solution. Anyone....

steves

I have that exact same HU. The only popping I get is when my phone bluetooth and the unit's blue tooth synch up.

Did you run a new power cable to the battery?

Did you size the power cable correctly?

Did you take the ground from the wiring harness, or ground directly to the chassis?

Is the WIFI on your phone turned on? This can apparently cause interference with the head unit and cause popping...

I might be tempted to RMA the unit as defective and try again....

OR perhaps you made a bad connection somewhere when connecting the wiring harness.

aaluck

I used the wiring harness sent to me by Crutchfield so the power is connected directly to the harness. So I did not run a separate power line. Could that be the issue? As far as the ground it is grounded to bare metal. I will turn the wifi off and see if that helps. I had this problem with my parrot BT unit I had before I did this install. It would pop when answering or hanging up a call. Thank you for the advice and I will take some photos and put them on here

aaluck

[quote name='aaluck' timestamp='1294097537' post='159479']

I used the wiring harness sent to me by Crutchfield so the power is connected directly to the harness. So I did not run a separate power line. Could that be the issue? As far as the ground it is grounded to bare metal. I will turn the wifi off and see if that helps. I had this problem with my parrot BT unit I had before I did this install. It would pop when answering or hanging up a call. Thank you for the advice and I will take some photos and put them on here

By the way, did you have the Rockford fosgate unit and amp?

steves

I don't have the RF amp and speakers, so I dunno anything about that.

What I can tell you, is that the HU requires 30 or 40 amps of power. You might be underpowering the HU, or overwhelming the circuit.

I'm not 100% happy with the fitment, but I have a friend with a plasma table that's going to cut me a new set of brackets in the spring to rotate the unit down slightly.

aaluck

Thank you again for the help. I have the RF amp and I believe that is where the problem lies. Apparently it operates at a low voltage and the clarion does not. This when switching sources etc the amp becomes overpowered and causes the pop. They say they are aware of this problem and are going to send me some device to put between the RCA connectors they say will fix it...we'll see, that should be here on Wed. I will update then wit photos. I really love the unit and want it to work out but would rather use a Walkman in the truck that hear the pop.

I got a fit kit from Crutchfield and like the fit. It is very nice. I will post some photos sometime this week. I would like to see yours. It fit almost perfect. Just needed a little adjustment.

Thank you again.

mdawg4x4

I replaced the RF radio with a Pioneer in a Sentra and kept the rear sub and amp connected. I have had no popping issues. Again, this is an 06 Nissan Sentra that had the factory RF system.

scottsbro23

I recomend yanking all the POS factory speakers and add a 4ch amp to power them...but thats me. I had the factory "RF tuned" system..when I added my Kenwood DNX514 I bypassed the factory amp...I used the crutchfield wiring harness, but only connected, 12v, acc, illumination, and remote turn on (to my 2 amps). I grounded the unit to the chassis. I dont have any popping either. I would guess it's something with the factory amp like you said.

aaluck

At this point I see no other way. I have a wiring diagram on the RF amp connections but don't see the sub. How did you wire the sub, or did you wire the sub? Did you use the rca out on the harnass straight to the sub?

Thank you for your help.

scottsbro23

[quote name='aaluck' timestamp='1294157764' post='159493']

At this point I see no other way. I have a wiring diagram on the RF amp connections but don't see the sub. How did you wire the sub, or did you wire the sub? Did you use the rca out on the harnass straight to the sub?

Thank you for your help.

[/quote]

I didn't rewire it.

I yanked it out....I don't have any factory stereo parts left in my truck. I'm running 2 10" subs off a clarion monoblock amp. Even if u just replace all the door speakers with quality aftermarket speakers powered off the new HU without the factory Rockford FOSTER (yes it says foster on the magnet) sub, it will sound better. I would bypass the OEM amp and save some headaches.

aaluck

That is where I am... I think. I would just like to run the speakers off the new HU. My problem is I am not sure how to run the 6 speakers (the 2 in the front door, the 2 in the rear doors and the 2 in the dash, excluding the center speaker and the sub) off the 4 outputs on the HU. I have a wiring diagram on the amp and speaker wires so I know which speaker is which wire but I am not sure how to make it work. I would like to be able to keep the 2 speakers in the dash and lose the center and sub. I will buy a small sub amp and run that via the RCA.

Any ideas on that?

Thank you, Aaron

steves

The sub is located under the driver's seat.

Here's a screen cap of the wiring for a 2005 with the amp. Double check that your application is the same.

It looks like the amp includes the highpass for the tweeters, so unless you want to run the tweets and the speakers off the same channel you should add a highpass filter and route the wiring correctly.

aaluck

UPDATE problem fixed. If anyone has this issue you can get it resolved with the PAC SNI-1. No pop or noise anymore. It has completely solved the problem. I also have a RF 6 disc changer and the bezzel for it for sale shold anyone be interested.