Welcome to TitanSpot - Nissan Titan Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to TitanSpot - Nissan Titan Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of TitanSpot - Nissan Titan Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Access the members list and photo gallery.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

PCV Valve replacement

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 krh2

krh2

Capn, Goofball

• Administrators
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:46 PM

Article title: PCV Valve replacement
Article description:
Category: Engine/Drivetrain
Date added: Feb 12 2009, 05:46 PM
Article starter: krh2

PCV valve replacement.

The PCV valve connects the crankcase to the intake manifold from a location more-or-less opposite the breather connection. Typical locations include the opposite valve cover that the breather tube connects to on a V engine. A typical location is the valve cover(s), although some engines place the valve in locations far from the valve cover. The valve is simple, but actually performs a complicated control function. An internal restrictor (generally a cone or ball) is held in "normal" (engine off, zero vacuum) position with a light spring, exposing the full size of the PCV opening to the intake manifold. With the engine running, the tapered end of the cone is drawn towards the opening in the PCV valve, restricting the opening proportionate to the level of engine vacuum vs. spring tension. At idle, the intake manifold vacuum is near maximum. It is at this time the least amount of blow by is actually occurring, so the PCV valve provides the largest amount of (but not complete) restriction. As engine load increases, vacuum on the valve decreases proportionally and blow by increases proportionally. Sensing a lower level of vacuum, the spring returns the cone to the "open" position to allow more air flow. At full throttle, there is nearly zero vacuum. At this point the PCV valve is nearly useless, and most combustion gases escape via the "breather tube" where they are then drawn in to the engine's intake manifold anyway.

The 2 PCV valves… $22 at my dealership.

Posted Image

Remove engine cover (10 mm)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pull up on the rear of the cover to remove..

Posted Image

Done.

Posted Image

Passenger side PCV valve. Notice the oil around it…

Posted Image

Passenger side. Same oil residue…

Posted Image

Intake Manifold…

Posted Image

Pull back the spring clamps…

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Driver side Crank case hose removed..

Posted Image

The PCV valves are plastic and are 22mm. When installing the new valves just get them nice and snug not too tight

Posted Image

Valves removed and new clamps installed…

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now install engine cover and you are done!

Old PCV valve... Notice the difference in sound of the valve opening and closing?

New PCV valve....

My Theme song........... http://www.televisiontunes.com/Captain_Kan...ng_Captain.html

Posted Image

There's a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: As government expands, liberty contracts..........

Ronald Reagan Farewell address January, 1989

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."

#2 scottsbro23

scottsbro23

Get Me Some Of Dem Err French Fried Tatters!

• Super Moderator
  • 9,274 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:51 PM

Nice Job POOT!

I deffinitly need to do this replacement...matter of fact I think I lost one of the OEM clamps on the passenger side hose.

The 2nd Amendment... Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, He shot them.

Happiness Is Beating Bama in Anything, Anytime, Anywhere

04' Deep Water LE 4x4 CC Off-Road Big Tow, 09' PRO 4X Coilovers & Rear shocks, PRG Mini Kit 2" Front 1" Rear, PRG Adj. Swaybar endlinks, QX56 Swaybar Bushings, PRG Shackles, PRG Off Road Traction Bars, 35" Pro Comp Xtreme A/T's on Graphite OEM 18's, (2012) Pro 4x rear End, Austin E-Lock Mod, Mag Hytec Diff cover, Superchips Cortex, Blue Activetuning Grounding Kit, 6000K HID Lows, Silver Star High & Turns, 3000k DDM HID Fogs, Flowmaster 40, VOLANT GEN III CAI, Throttle Body Screen Mod, Custom Painted Relentless RPM Catch Can, UpRev 2 Deg. Timing Advance, Kenwood DNX514 HU, Sony Explode 4ch Amp, Cadence 6.5" Components, (2) 10" Subs, Vshortt Built Custom Box, Clarion APX-1300 400 watt Amp, Black Billet 9" Antenna, Billet Grill , (3) 8" Procomp 130 watt Off-Road Lights, (2) 55 watt Back-up Lights, Custom Painted Engine Cover V with matching CAI lid.

SEMPER FI
WAR EAGLE

#3 krh2

krh2

Capn, Goofball

• Administrators
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:38 PM

Nice Job POOT!

matter of fact I think I lost one of the OEM clamps on the passenger side hose.

FIND IT! :smt017
My Theme song........... http://www.televisiontunes.com/Captain_Kan...ng_Captain.html

Posted Image

There's a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: As government expands, liberty contracts..........

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."

#4 TitanCanuck

TitanCanuck

Founder of "TAA" aka Truck Abusers Anonymous

• Members
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:47 PM

same here, mine are leaking as well.....gonna pick up the new ones tomorrow!!

maybe I will let Steve help me...lol
Posted Image

Quote from DD:

"Beer and Heavy Machinery are bad...... Rednecks and Sober are bad..... Rednecks with Beer are at work.... All Good"

06 Smoke Crew 4x4 SE w/Big Tow and Popular pkg

MODS:
Performance:
Magnaflow Single Side S/S Cat Back, Injen Powerflow CAI, True Trac, Mag Hytec diff cover. UPREV Tuned!!
Suspension:
4" PRG Performance pkg. w/ SAW's, Total Chaos UCA's, Deavers and DR rears, 33x12.5x18 Toyo M/T's and PRG street traction bars.
Others:
OEM Fog Lights, 4 Pc Billet from Mr. Grille, Tinted Windows, Active Tuning Grounding Kit.

#5 krh2

krh2

Capn, Goofball

• Administrators
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:56 PM

same here, mine are leaking as well.....gonna pick up the new ones tomorrow!!

maybe I will let Steve help me...lol

You mean "watch" ? :smt017

Posted Image

#6 honeykeeper

honeykeeper

Sail Naked~!!!~

• Members
  • 8,095 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:01 PM

I wonder wonder what mine look like at 74+K?........... :smt003

Great pics. and castanets..... :smt017 .
3-29-05 Born ...4/09/05 Adopted... SEKC... 4 x 4 Off Road with Big Tow and E-loc...Blizzard...Graphite/Titanium Interior, Popular Package, Bench Seat.
Bilstein front/rear shocks, Deaver Mini-Pak Springs, Total Chaos Shackles, Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar,
Mag-Hytec "Honeypot", HK Rear Axle Vent Mod, Frozen Rotors-Hawk Pads.

In-Cabin Microfilters, ARE Z shell, OEM bug/rock deflector, Lund AVS Ventvisors, OEM mud gaurds, Bushwhacker- notched-Fender Flares, OEM rubber & standard floor mats, Burtman Stainless Steel Titan Door Sills, Black Vinyl Door Edge Molding on front doors and vertical sides of Tailgate, Spoiler Direct Chrome Tailgate Trim, Utilitrac System, OEM Dual Lower Sliding Trays, OEM under-seat-storganiser, Silver Star Ultra 9006 Low Beams, White Night Backup Lights, CT Windshield Sun Reflector, Drawtite Activator II trailer-e-brake control, Super-Z-Winter Traction Cables, Dueler AT REVO Tires-4th set, NISSAN I-POD adapter, Bosch Icon Window Wiper Blades, Bosch Ir Fusion Spark Plugs.
Optima Red Top Battery

6 x 10' low bed/rails trailer with E-brakes.
108 year old rebuilt 4,000 lb. road roller/packer. http://www.titanspot...d+Roller+Packer

Posted Image

JFK on Climate Change/Energy Revolution http://www.youtube.c...h?v=J8dLHZ6jKFc
JFK JR. "We Have the Capability and Technology to Eliminate 100% of our Needs for Persian Gulf OIl"
"PEACE TO THE PEOPLE OF ALL NATIONS"
The TRUTH is still EVERYWHERE...I said this ~!!!~

#7 krh2

krh2

Capn, Goofball

• Administrators
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:20 PM

I wonder wonder what mine look like at 74+K?........... :smt017

Prolly like chit.. BTW there are no aftermarket valves available. You have to go Nissan or nuttin... :smt003

Posted Image

#8 honeykeeper

honeykeeper

Sail Naked~!!!~

• Members
  • 8,095 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:26 PM

Prolly like chit.. BTW there are no aftermarket valves available. You have to go Nissan or nuttin... :smt003

Oh yes there is.....one can of carb cleaner I have on the mountain.... :smt017
3-29-05 Born ...4/09/05 Adopted... SEKC... 4 x 4 Off Road with Big Tow and E-loc...Blizzard...Graphite/Titanium Interior, Popular Package, Bench Seat.
Bilstein front/rear shocks, Deaver Mini-Pak Springs, Total Chaos Shackles, Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar,

In-Cabin Microfilters, ARE Z shell, OEM bug/rock deflector, Lund AVS Ventvisors, OEM mud gaurds, Bushwhacker- notched-Fender Flares, OEM rubber & standard floor mats, Burtman Stainless Steel Titan Door Sills, Black Vinyl Door Edge Molding on front doors and vertical sides of Tailgate, Spoiler Direct Chrome Tailgate Trim, Utilitrac System, OEM Dual Lower Sliding Trays, OEM under-seat-storganiser, Silver Star Ultra 9006 Low Beams, White Night Backup Lights, CT Windshield Sun Reflector, Drawtite Activator II trailer-e-brake control, Super-Z-Winter Traction Cables, Dueler AT REVO Tires-4th set, NISSAN I-POD adapter, Bosch Icon Window Wiper Blades, Bosch Ir Fusion Spark Plugs.
Optima Red Top Battery

108 year old rebuilt 4,000 lb. road roller/packer. http://www.titanspot...d+Roller+Packer

Posted Image

JFK JR. "We Have the Capability and Technology to Eliminate 100% of our Needs for Persian Gulf OIl"

#9 jhromy

jhromy

Spiders and Snakes and 1000 Leggers O MY!

• Members
  • 11,379 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:32 PM

Prolly like chit.. BTW there are no aftermarket valves available. You have to go Nissan or nuttin... :smt017

actually http://www.partsgeek...eek Google Base

lol cheaper to go oem
Posted Image

#10 krh2

krh2

Capn, Goofball

• Administrators
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:13 PM

Oh yes there is.....one can of carb cleaner I have on the mountain.... :smt003

Dont you dare spray any of that stuff! Sheesh.. :smt004 :smt017

Posted Image

#11 honeykeeper

honeykeeper

Sail Naked~!!!~

• Members
  • 8,095 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:12 AM

Prolly like chit.. BTW there are no aftermarket valves available. You have to go Nissan or nuttin... :smt009

Nuttin's changed in 30 years...
Just removed the pcv valves with 81,775 miles and cleaned them with carb cleaner. No signs of oil leakage on the manifold but the valves were clogged. Three blasts of the carb cleaner on both sides and good to go with the "rattle" back in the can again.... :smt003
I used a 23 mm wrench but pliers would work too..... :smt004

My local NISSAN dealer sells the valves for $5.63 + tax... :smt005

Aftermarket:
Beck/Arnley: # 0450350 for $15.99 each
Purolator: # pv1091 ?$$$
AZ: # pcv1015 for $15.99 each

I'm going to pull and clean the pcv valves every 12K after seeing them.

Edited by honeykeeper, 27 July 2009 - 07:56 AM.

Optima Red Top Battery

Posted Image

#12 krh2

krh2

Capn, Goofball

• Administrators
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:39 PM

Nuttin's changed in 30 years...
Just removed the pcv valves with 81,775 miles and cleaned them with carb cleaner. No signs of oil leakage on the manifold but the valves were clogged. Three blasts of the carb cleaner on both sides and good to go with the "rattle" back in the can again.... :smt003
I used a 23 mm wrench but pliers would work too..... :smt009

My local NISSAN dealer sells the valves for $5.98 each?... :smt005

Aftermarket:
Beck/Arnley: # 0450350 for $15.99 each
Purolator: # pv1091 ?$$$
AZ: # pcv1015 for $15.99 each

I'm going to pull and clean the pcv valves every 12K after seeing them.

So, your valves had no rattle? Wow! Look into a Catch can. Not that that would save your valves but if you plan on handing down (wait you dont have kids) driving the T forever it might be a good mod.. :smt004

Posted Image

#13 DClights

DClights

____

• Members
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:59 PM

man why do you have to do write-ups that make everything look so easy :smt004 :smt003 Cause the easier that you make them look the more likely it is I am going to try this :smt005
90,000 miles on 11/15/10 and still going just as strong as day one.
2004 Titan cc deepwater blue/green LE
Mods:
Sirius
Lund Visor with LED marker lights (not recommended)
Galaxy CB Radio w/ Wilson antennas
Delta toolbox
Flowmaster 40 Exhaust
K&N CAI
North American strobe orange rotating light
Backrack
Hella Aux roof lights
Big-tow mirrors(not pictured below)
Posted Image Posted Image
:fart

#14 titanbiotch25

titanbiotch25

TB25

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:59 PM

no leak here, but i prolly should pull em and change em wouldn't hurt!!

#15 honeykeeper

honeykeeper

Sail Naked~!!!~

• Members
  • 8,095 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:20 AM

So, your valves had no rattle? Wow! Look into a Catch can. Not that that would save your valves but if you plan on handing down (wait you dont have kids) driving the T forever it might be a good mod.. :smt005

No rattle at all.........gunk city they were. Gonna turn my Titan into a chicken coop some day so I don't think I need the catch can..lol...... :smt003

Here's a buzzing pcv valve..

Edited by honeykeeper, 21 July 2009 - 06:23 AM.

Optima Red Top Battery

Posted Image

#16 honeykeeper

honeykeeper

Sail Naked~!!!~

• Members
  • 8,095 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 08:39 PM

Two more notes:
1- Don't forget to remove and spray the lines/hoses out with the carb cleaner when you clean or replace the PCV valves.
2- Stick some rags in between the intake manifold pipes in the pcv area when changing the pcv valves to prevent an accident like dropping one...it's a long way down in the valley where the starter lives.... :smt009 :smt013

Edited by honeykeeper, 25 July 2009 - 09:25 PM.

Optima Red Top Battery

Posted Image

#17 titanbiotch25

titanbiotch25

TB25

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:55 PM

well i replaced both pcv valves today, and good thing no rattle what so ever!! found new one's at auto zone, 15 bucks each. the new ones i got don't rattle a lot but there is a rattle! is there any diff between oe/aftermarket?

#18 honeykeeper

honeykeeper

Sail Naked~!!!~

• Members
  • 8,095 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:29 PM

well i replaced both pcv valves today, and good thing no rattle what so ever!! found new one's at auto zone, 15 bucks each. the new ones i got don't rattle a lot but there is a rattle! is there any diff between oe/aftermarket?

How many miles did you have on them? I'm going to clean mine every 12,000 miles. OEM pcv valve is $5.63 + tax at my NISSAN dealer.

Edited by honeykeeper, 27 July 2009 - 07:55 AM.

Optima Red Top Battery

Posted Image

#19 titanbiotch25

titanbiotch25

TB25

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:03 PM

i just hit 65000 miles with the original pcv's. oops!! lol who would of thought the stealer would be cheaper.... not me! with all the other crapola going on i just spaced the pcv's. but they are done now.

#20 noahsark6454

noahsark6454

07 SE KING CAB 4X4 150K+

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:12 PM

So hi, I'm new to this forum. This write up was very useful. Sorry for rekindling this thread but I've got a quick question (hopefully). I've got a 07 King Cab SE 4X4 flex fuel with about 150k. A P0153 code popped up,I replaced the B2S1 (bank 2 sensor 1) O2 sensor, cleared the code and it came back. I then tried cleaning the fuel system, checking for obvious bad wires, vacuum leaks and couldn't find anything. I came across this post and replaced both PCV valves (never been replaced or cleaned) I cleared the code and about 50-75 miles the same code showed as pending, then it disappeared no fault codes? And now I have forward/driverside exhaust leak. So my question is why/how would old PCV valves possibly pop the P0153 code? Sorry for the rant, just wanted to give the whole story. Thanks for any help.

#21 nicholas.getty

nicholas.getty
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:21 PM

Hey guys I know it's an older feed this helped me out a lot with locating my pcv valve... however my driver side pcv valve is stuck, it won't come off. I tried the 22mm too small found a 23mm perfect size. Passenger side came off fine but, driver side is still on and won't come off. I tried using vise grips but it is just stripping it. Hoping someone see this... need some ideas to get it off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq